As much as we like sushi rolls, making them at home is a disaster – sticky rice glued to your hands and rolls falling apart..
This recipe tastes like veggie sushi rolls, but in simplified bowl form. There’s no rolling involved, which means they’re much easier to make. You can get more creative with toppings too, since you aren’t limited to options that roll up well.
There are just a few steps involved in making this hassle-free vegan sushi bowl, and each one is super simple!
Since there is no hard rule for making a poke bowl, you can really get creative with the ingredients and put in anything you love. Not into edamame? Leave it out. Love Nori sheets? Use that instead. Avocado adds richness and a wonderful creamy texture. In our opinion, a poke bowl without avocado is not complete!
It’s so simple, whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl until well blended. Make it as spicy or mild as you wish. For a vegan version, use a vegan-approved sub for the mayo such as store bought vegan mayo or a homemade version.
Since this is a vegan sushi bowl without raw fish, you can keep leftovers refrigerated for up to 3-4 days, depending on the veggies you use.
All Green Vegan Sushi Bowl
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp (vegan) mayonnaise
- 2-4 tsp sriracha sauce
For the bowl
- 1¼ cup sushi rice (250gram)
- 1 avocado
- 1 small cucumber
- 4 spring onions
- 1 cup edamame
- 8-10 green asparagus
- Rinse the rice a few times until the water is almost clear. Add 1.4 cups (330ml) of water and the washed rice to a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 20 minutes. Don’t open the lid.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil, then add the edamame and asparagus. Simmer just until they are warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, dice the cucumber, avocado and spring onions and whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl until well blended.
- When all components are prepared, divide the rice between 2 bowls.
- Fan out the avocado on top and arrange the cucumber, asparagus, spring onions and edamame around it.
- Drizzle with spicy mayo and sesame seeds and serve with soy sauce on the side, if desired.